This position is open until filled.
This position is assigned to the Morale, Welfare, and Recreation [MWR] Recreational Lodging Program; Fleet Readiness [N92]; Commander, Navy Installations Command [CNIC]; Naval Air Station Key West. The incumbent performs front desk and/or reservation functions for the MWR Recreational lodging program. Recreational Lodging operations may include Recreational Vehicle [RV] Parks, Vacation Rentals [cottages, cabins, single houses, townhomes, duplexes, mobile homes, hotels, apartments, and yurts], and/or campgrounds.
II. MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Utilizes the Property Management System [PMS] to access the guest information, retrieve reservation information, change or cancel reservations as requested by the guest, or register guests. Verifies registration information, secures a credit card for incidental expenses, and authorizes credit card for room charges. Provides guests with their room key or card.
- Provides assistance in handling customer complaints, involving management as necessary.
- Receives requests and processes reservations within established guidelines. When rooms/spaces are not available, provides an option to be on a waitlist and/or alternative lodging or RV Parks in the area.
- Registers and assigns rooms/spaces to guests, transmitting and receiving messages, keeping records of occupied rooms/spaces and guest accounts, making and confirming reservations, and presenting statements to and collecting payments as necessary.
- Receives and is accountable for a change fund. Prepares Close Bank Report and deposits cash receipts at the end of each shift in accordance with established procedures.
- Ensures guest security and privacy is maintained at all times.
- Interacts with guests professionally; answers questions concerning the facility, amenities, and provides information about local attractions.
- Inventories all keys and any other supplies or amenities maintained at the front desk. Keeps the front desk and lobby area clean and neat.
- Runs and prints various reports from the PMS such as Expected Arrivals, Departure List, In-House Guest List and Night Audit reports, as requested.
- Answers phones and transfers calls to appropriate individuals.
- Logs trouble calls in the PMS and ensures the appropriate department is notified. Relocates guest to a different room when required.
- Retrieves Lost and Found items and contacts the guest regarding lost or found items.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of daily front desk operations of a hotel or RV Parks.
- Knowledge of basic principles, concepts, standards, and regulations related to hospitality operations.
- Knowledge of an automated property management system[s]
- Skill in resolving customer complaints.
- Skill in the use of Microsoft Office Programs [e.g., Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook].
- Skill in basic maths
- Skill in reading.
- Ability to handle, control, and account for large amounts of cash.
- Ability to handle, address and resolve customer complaints.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, in English.
2. SUPERVISORY CONTROLS
Works under direct supervision of the Front Desk Supervisor or Recreational Lodging Manager. The supervisor makes selected continuing or individual assignments by indicating generally, what is to be done; the limitation, quantity, and the priority or deadline of assigned work tasks. Recurring assignments are carried out independently without specific instructions. Situations involving unfamiliar problems not covered by instructions are referred to the supervisor for resolution. Completed assignments are reviewed to assure that work practices, techniques, records, and other functions are technically accurate and in compliance with instructions.
Guidelines consist of specific regional/local policies, regulations, manuals, and guides related to lodging operations. The incumbent carries out assignments in accordance with DoD and Navy regulations. The supervisor will provide suggestions for handling unusual situations.
The lodging operation conducts business 24 hours a day, 365 days a year with guests checking in and out on a daily basis. Customer service is of foremost importance in this position. Front desk personnel work various shifts.
5. SCOPE AND EFFECT
The purpose of the work is to provide front desk services. The work directly contributes to the military members, retirees, civilians and family member's quality of life and mission readiness, and contributes to job satisfaction and retention of valuable members.
6. PERSONAL CONTACTS
Contacts include guests, regional staff, all department heads, lodging staff and tenant command personnel, especially those tenant commands personnel residing in the lodging facilities. Some contact with contractors, vendors and representatives of private industry may occur.
7. PURPOSE OF CONTACTS
Contacts are made to coordinate and/or obtain information relating to the front desk operation and guest services.
8. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Work is usually sedentary in nature.
9. WORK ENVIRONMENT
Work is primarily performed indoors in areas that normally have adequate heat, light and ventilation.
10. OTHER REQUIREMENTS
As required by Executive Order 14043, Federal employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement [e.g., telework, remote work, etc.], subject to such exceptions as required by law. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination by November 22, 2021 or before appointment or onboarding with CNIC, if after November 22. CNIC will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request of CNIC a legally required exception from this requirement.
This position may be designated ALPHA personnel for inclement weather or in the interest of national security and may be required to report for work when other employees are excused.
This position is subject to the possibility of working on weekends and holidays, as well as, rotating shifts, often consisting of other than normal duty hours.
The incumbent may be recalled to duty and/or required to work overtime, as necessary to meet mission requirements.
May be required to possess a valid state driverâ€™s license. Travel to other Recreational Lodging facilities may be required within the normal scope of duties.
This position is not telework eligible.
HOW TO APPLY
All application forms and current vacancy announcements can be found on-line at: www.navymwrkeywest.com/jobs. To contact the Human Resources Office directly please call 305-293-2518.
- DECLARATION FOR FEDERAL EMPLOYMENT [OF 306]
- NAF APPLICATION
- CURRENT RESUME
PLEASE NOTE: When completing the NAF Employment Application form, applicants are required to fill in the 'Position Applying For' field and the 'Announcement No.' field.
You may attach any other information that you wish to be considered [training, certifications, etc.]. Completed applications and information may be submitted via any option listed below:
SUBMIT IN PERSON [w/ base access]:
MWR Personnel Office
NAS KEY WEST, FL 33040
SUBMIT IN PERSON VIA DROP-BOX [w/o base access:]
Drop Box is located inside the Pass & ID Office outside the main gate at Boca Chica.
SUBMIT VIA U.S. MAIL:
MWR Personnel Office
P.O. BOX 9027
NAS Key West, FL 33040
SUBMIT VIA FAX:
All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States for a minimum of 3 years prior to application and must successfully pass a suitability check be considered. As a condition of employment, selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer with the first 30 days of employment. Applicants who do not meet the above requirements may not be interviewed and due to the volume of applications received, may not be notified.
Dept. of the Navy NAF is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or any other non-merit factors. Reasonable accommodations are provided to applicants with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed for any part of the application and hiring process, please contact the Human Resource Office. The decision on granting reasonable accommodations will be on a case-by-case basis.
Navy Region Southeast is a drug-free workplace. The use of illegal drugs by NAF employees, whether on or off duty, cannot and will not be tolerated. Federal employees have a right to a safe and secure workplace. Sailors and their family members have a right to reliable and productive Federal workforce.
Guidelines for Claiming Employment Preference:
Reemployment Priority List [RPL]: Qualifying separated employees shall have a priority placement in the NAF activity from which they were separated as a result of a Business Based Action [BBA], when the position has substantially the same duties as the position from which they were separated and it is not a higher grade or employment category, provided the position is not being filled by an internal candidate.
To claim this preference, you MUST:
- Submit a copy of your BBA Separation
- Notification indicating eligibility for RPL
Military Spouse Preference [MSP]: Qualifying spouses eligible for MSP are spouses of an active duty military member of the U.S. Armed Forces, including members of the National Guard or Reserves on active duty. The Marriage must have occurred before the military member received official permanent change of station [PCS] orders to the installation listed above. MSP is applicable only when applying for NAF positions at the NF-03 and below and equivalent craft and trade [CT] positions.
To claim this preference, you MUST:
- Submit a sponsor’s PCS orders to installation you are applying for; AND
- If you are not indicated as a spouse on the PCS orders, you MUST submit proof of marriage prior to PCS
Veteran’s Preference/Gold Star Veteran’s Preference: Qualifying military veterans and spouses/parents of deceased veterans shall be given employment preference over non-preference applicants if they are equally qualified. Preference applicable for positions open to external candidates.
To claim Veteran’s preference, you must:
- Submit a copy of your DD-214 [member 4 copy]: AND
- Submit Completed SF15 from the Veterans Administration [VA]; AND
- Submit any other supporting documentation [disability, official statements, proof of service, etc.]
To claim Gold Star Veteran’s preference, you MUST:
- Submit completed SF-15 from the Veterans Administration [VA]; AND
- Submit a legible copy of DD-1300; AND
- Submit any other supporting documentation [official statements, document of service, court decree, etc.]